I am drawn to classic style. I cannot look at a Jackie O. photo without thinking how wonderful she looks. I don’t think she ever looked bad! So, with that in mind, in this post I’m going to talk about dressing classically. I realize that not everyone dresses this way but if you are looking for a way to ease into stepping up your style, I think this is one of the best ways to do it. Dressing classically will also make you look like you didn’t try very hard, and that’s what you want, right???
1) Probably the easiest recipe out there for those who need a quick outfit for errands, a lunch date, or a casual dinner out with friends. Black sweater or top, straight leg jeans, black belt, and black flats. And she looks so put together! If you wanted to add some color to this outfit, a scarf, shoes or purse would be an ideal way to go! Word of warning here, make sure your jeans look this polished. In order to get the most wear out of a jean, make sure they don’t have rips, fancy jewels on the butt, or distress marks!
2) Doesn’t Olivia Palermo look like she’s channeling Audrey Hepburn here? I need to point out that while she is wearing an outfit similar to what Ms. Hepburn would have worn, Olivia keeps it up-to-date with her trendy purse and leopard print flats (which are hot, hot, hot!!! this season). She looks absolutely fabulous here and once again, it’s an easy outfit to copy. Short sleeved shell top and skinny jeans/pants. Simple!!! If you don’t own leopard print flats, try this outfit with black, grey, or camel colored flats. And it would be okay to cover up this shell with a jacket or cardigan if you are chilly.
3) Tie front blouses are big for the fall season. How to make them look less serious? Cover it up with a classy, but fun, black trimmed jacket and boot cut jeans (which are also still fresh for fall). If you don’t have a jacket like Katie’s, a black one will do just fine. Once again, keep the jeans clean people!
4) The woman in the photo below is wearing one of my favorite combinations: A navy jacket and a camel sweater over a chambray shirt. These are 3 KEY pieces to have in your wardrobe. They can be mixed multiple ways. I’m not going to list all the possible combos here but if you need to know, just ask!
5) And I just had to finish with Jackie O. herself. What do you think? Doesn’t her style transcend time? I think so! Layering necklaces is big right now and so are tunics. Which makes me come to my final point about dressing classically. There is a fine line between looking like you are stuck in a time warp versus dressing classically and looking modern. This photo looks like it could have been taken on the street today. It’s all about putting the basic pieces together, but keeping your options open with tasteful accessories that will never go out of style!